Health, Fitness & Beauty

English Hairdressers II

Nicola writes in Health, Fitness & Beauty

Girls, I need your help! Yes, it's time to get my hair done again. As you may have seen in previous posts, I tried the English Hair Salon in Gracia, not impressed, will not be going back. So now I need to try another one. Where do you go? Are they good? Do they give good advice?
It's difficult to find a hairdresser who will advise you on style and colour rather than those who just do whatever you say, regardless of whether you have a clue about what you're talking about! So, that's what I'm looking for, someone who won't dye my hair pink just because I ask them to (no, this isn't what went wrong last time). Oh, and of course s/he should speak English too, otherwise it might really end up pink!

I work in Barcelona, live in Sitges so either town would be great.

Posted on: 18/09/2006 at 00:52

Well I think wherever you end up going to get your hair done, it may be worth flicking through a few hair mags beforehand to have a good idea of what you want. That way you are less likely to be persuaded by some well-meaning hairdresser (English or Spanish) that your hair would look good green with blue stripes and 2 inches long! Anna

Posted on: 18/09/2006 at 08:33

I would say that it was worth spending a little more than you do usually. Then once the cut and colour are the way you like it, you can always go to a cheaper slaon in furture to have the same cut put back in and the colour copied. Sisi

Posted on: 19/09/2006 at 13:08

Thanks for your advice so far. Thing is, I know what I want and I pretty much have what I want, I just need the colour refreshing and the cut working in some layers that I'm growing out. I have always preferred to spend more for the right hairdresser than go cheap and it not be right. The first time I tried a salon here in Barcelona (English speaking too) I also wanted the same colour. I went in a sun-kissed highlighted blonde, came out a brunette! So that strategy didn't work

I also use the fact that a hairdresser can advise me on what will suit me and my hair as a guideline as to whether they are any good. I can walk in with a photo of Julia Roberts hair and be 100% sure that this is what I want. What I'm looking for here from a 'hair professional' is for them to say to me - Nicola, that's a great style but your hair can't and won't do that. Let's think of some alternatives...
Plus, this is a good hairdresser to know for the future when I do want something new...

But the last place I lived, it took me 3 years to find someone like this so I'm not holding my breath just yet. But I find the best way to find them is by recommendation so I'll live in hope...

Posted on: 19/09/2006 at 16:29

The best hairdresser I have been to where one of the assistants speaks English is Llonguerras in C/Benet Mateu, in Sarria. More expensive than most salons, but they do an excellent cut and treat you really well.

Posted on: 30/09/2006 at 21:58

Don't suppose you have a phone number for that salon Simon? Anna

Posted on: 02/10/2006 at 08:40

Nicola, I cant find a decent hairdresser here to save my life. I had found one last year and saw him faithfully, he did an amazing job on my color (and I am high maintenance when it comes to my hair, I use expensive products, get treatments regularily etc.) then this hairdresser went out on his own to open his own salon, and thats when it all started to go down hill. his new salon was amazing, but his work became very inconsistant. I was paying a fortune (190€ for cut / color/ flat iron) and sometimes he was doing half a job. so, i dumped him. now, i have no one nad my hair is an absolute disater. I need someone really good. ill spend. what does it take to get youre hair done in this town??? I saw a new woman last month, I needed soemone to take me from platinum blonde to natural brown. disappointment. i felt like I was getting my hair done by my girlfriend in her basement with discount products. only im so desperate, ive made another appointment. have you found anyone yet???

Posted on: 07/11/2006 at 14:40

Featured Information

Driving

Driving

How to make sure you stay on the right side of the law when you're driving in Spain.

Read more...
Schooling & Education

Schooling & Education

Find out about the Spanish and the international primary, secondary and university school systems.

Read more...
Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Health Insurance Quote

Cover required for:

Quick Quote

What's On

CLASSIC MUSIC WITH TEA AT PALAU GOMIS

Benefit from a classic music concert in the MEAM - European Museum of Modern Art. Each friday we offer you a new programation

More Details